2015 ELA 61st Annual Conference
November 5-7, 2015 (Preconference November 4)
Cleveland Marriott Downtown at Key Center, Cleveland, Ohio
Choose from the highest-quality breakout sessions, feature sessions, and roundtable discussions to help you gain the latest information from education law instructors, authors, and practitioners. Network among your colleagues in the role-alike sessions and the social functions to gain a complete and well-rounded professional experience. Please consider presiding over a session at the conference (presiders are listed in the final program).
- Click for a mail/fax/email conference registration form (register online by selecting "register online" in menu bar at top left)
ELA ANNUAL AWARDS: Beckham, Joseph, Goldberg, McGhehey, Steinhilber, and ELA Board Nominations (deadlines July 1-September 1, 2015)
ANNOUNCING THE 2015 FEATURE / PLENARY SESSIONS
Thursday, November 5
Americans with Disabilities Act at 25: Current Issues for Higher Education (and Transition Issues from K-12)
Laura Rothstein, Professor of Law, Louis D. Brandeis School of Law, University of Louisville, KY
Friday, November 6
This feature is a special half-day panel being held at Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, open to the public and followed by a reception in the school’s atrium. Other details still emerging and will be announced.
- Safe Schools: Safety and Legal Issues for K-12 and Higher Education Campuses
- - Kenneth Trump, MPA, National School Safety & Security Services, Cleveland, OH
- - S. Daniel Carter, Director, 32 National Campus Safety Initiative, VTV Family Foundation, providing campus safety advocacy and campus violence victim support.
- - Sonali B. Wilson, General Counsel, Cleveland State University
- - Matt Markling, Managing Director, McGown & Markling Co., L.P.A., Akron, OH
- - Legal information on school safety issues will be provided by attorney-representatives of the US Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights, regional office.
Saturday, November 7
Supreme Court Update: A year in review and a look ahead
Mark Walsh, contributing writer for Education Week, Washington, DC.
"ELA is the one annual conference I attend where I ALWAYS learn something new! The conferences are extremely substantive, and the participants are so welcoming of new members. I’m very proud to be associated with this organization." Martha McCarthy, Ph.D.
"The annual ELA conference provides an opportunity not otherwise available for all interested individuals, including, for example, attorneys on both sides, administrators, and academics, to exchange information, views, and contacts, in a cozy, comfortable, and supportive atmosphere." Perry Zirkel, Ph.D., J.D., LL.M.
"The Annual Conference is a great opportunity to learn from experts in the field and interact with a diverse group of education law stake holders." Josh Hughes, J.D.
2014 ELA 60th Anniversary Annual Conference
"The Resegregation of Education in America"
November 12-15, 2014 * The Sheraton San Diego, Bay Tower * San Diego, California
Select image to view conference program
ACCESS TO 2014 CONFERENCE PAPERS
Online access to the 2014 conference papers has been taken offline. If you were a conference attendee, please email your request for a particular presentation to ela @ educationlaw.org, or call ELA at 216-523-7377. Provide your email so that we may send you the paper.
Looking Ahead . . .
2016 ELA Annual Conference
• November, 2016
• Buena Vista Palace, Orlando, Florida