Super User The History of ELA Founded in 1954 during an education conference at Duke University as the decision in Brown v. Board of Education loomed, the National Organization on Legal Problems in Education was founded with 57 members from 15 states and the District of Columbia. Within six weeks of its inception, NOLPE had 205 members from 40 states, the District of Columbia and Guam. The first annual meeting was held in the fall of 1955 at the University of Chicago and the first full-sized book was published in 1958, titled Law and the School Superintendent. By 1963, nearly one-third of the membership were attorneys. The annual conference attracts hundreds of participants and attendees from around the United States and a number of other countries. The conference has been held in such places as Philadelphia, Chicago, Denver, Miami Beach, Las Vegas, New Orleans, and Nassau, Bahamas. In 1994, NOLPE officially became known as the Education Law Association. At that time, the organization's headquarters were in Topeka, Kansas. In 1997, the Education Law Association moved to the University of Dayton's campus and was housed in the School of Education and Allied Professions until 2013 when ELA found a new home at Cleveland-Marshall College of Law at Cleveland State University. Funding for ELA is achieved through membership fees, publication sales, conference and seminar fees, and corporate sponsors. All information contained herein is provided as a service to our members, and for our visitors, who are encouraged to join our ELA family.